If you’re looking for a medical weight loss program in Potomac, Maryland to help you break through your plateau, or perhaps even kickstart your journey, it can be hard to know which to choose. There are many different programs, each with its own focus on how they help you shed excess weight.
With the rise in popularity of weight loss injections like semaglutide, sold under brands Ozempic and Wegovy, many people wonder if they should choose a program that includes them.
And rightfully so, as we’ve learned about the many benefits of semaglutide for sustainably reducing the number on the scale. Here’s what you should know.
Should Your Weight Loss Program in Potomac, Maryland Include Semaglutide? Yes, if You Are a Good Candidate
Not everyone qualifies for semaglutide injections for weight loss, as it is a prescription medication medication originally developed for patients with type II diabetes. People with a history of gallbladder disease, pancreatitis, medullary thyroid cancer, or multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2 are not eligible.
So who qualifies for semaglutide? You should meet one of the following:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher, which is considered obese
- Have a body mass index of 27 or higher AND type II diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or other comorbidity.
Additionally, you need to be ready to make changes to your diet, exercise routine, sleep patterns, and / or other lifestyle habits for optimal success. Semaglutide is not meant to be used for weight loss on its own.
In Terms of Semaglutide’s Effectiveness for Reducing the Number on the Scale, There’s Great News
In a preliminary study involving 2,000 obese adults, individuals who used semaglutide in combination with dietary modifications and exercise were compared to those who implemented identical lifestyle adjustments but excluded semaglutide.
The outcomes after 68 weeks were notably striking, with 50% of semaglutide users experiencing a substantial 15% reduction in body weight, and nearly 33% achieving an impressive 20% decrease.
In contrast, participants who depended solely on lifestyle alterations encountered a more moderate weight loss, amounting to approximately 2.4%. Subsequent research has consistently reiterated these results, confirming the effectiveness of semaglutide.
How Does Semaglutide Work for Weight Loss Exactly?
Before you take medication, you should understand how it helps patients lose weight. Semaglutide works by targeting several key mechanisms in the body, primarily through its impact on appetite and food intake regulation.
Here’s how semaglutide functions to promote weight loss:
- Appetite suppression: Semaglutide is a glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist. When injected, it binds to GLP-1 receptors in the brain, specifically the hypothalamus. This action sends signals to reduce appetite and food cravings, leading to a decreased caloric intake.
- Delayed gastric emptying: Semaglutide also delays the emptying of the stomach’s contents into the small intestine. This results in a feeling of fullness and reduced appetite, further curbing overeating.
- Stimulation of insulin: In addition to its effects on appetite, semaglutide also enhances insulin secretion in response to meals. This helps regulate blood sugar levels and potentially reduces fat storage in the body.
The combined effects of appetite suppression, delayed gastric emptying, and improved insulin regulation work in concert to reduce calorie intake and promote weight loss. Over time, these changes can lead to a significant decrease in body weight, particularly in individuals with obesity.
Weight regain can occur when the medication is discontinued, which is why it’s essential for patients need to work closely with healthcare professionals to develop a long-term plan for weight management.
For Outstanding Weight Loss Success and Help Keeping the Pounds Off for Good, Choose Moksha Aesthetics
Here, you’re so much more than just a number on the scale, and we want to help you reach your wellness goals with personalized care!
Call us today at 240-907-5009 so you can lose weight and keep it off through a customized weight loss program in Potomac, Maryland. Be sure to ask about services such as body contouring treatments that make an excellent addition to semaglutide!